Skip to main content

/Day 83 /02-06-22 /Mainz-Remagen

Yesterday evening I had a dinner of aspargus and a schnitzel Wiener art…and as I was still hungry after,  Ice cream with chocolat milk, not sauce…my German needs improvement. I woke up early as it would be a another long ride of 140 K. When I packed I noticed my second battery was not charged. As it was a flat ride I should be able to cover the distance on 1 battery but my range anxiety was stronger than myself….I put my second battery in the charger and went in search for breakfast whilst the battery would load enough to satisfy my anxiety…..

At 8.30, 1 hour later then planned but after a nice breakfast, I left Mainz. Today it  would be about following the Rhine, the weather would be great , the cycle path signposted and Loreley waiting for me…To get out of Mainz I passed an Industrial zone and some highways….but soon I was cycling along the Rhine. 

There is much more traffic on the Rhine compared to the Danube ; a lot of river cruise boats, but also a lot of cargo ships. The cruise boats modern and big,…A lot of cyclists on the road as well, often big groups on a cruise-cycle tour. Besides boats, cyclists a lot of castles. Every Rhine village has it’s castle, some big, some small…I think I passed around 30 castles.











In the afternoon I passed Koblenz, a rather big town  at the confluence of the Mosel and the Rhine. I cycled briefly through the city center, which had a modern look (the town was mostly rebuild after WWII), I probably missed the nice parts of the city but Koblenz didn’t appeal to me. The Ehrenbreitstein fortress overlooking the Rhine, Mosel and Koblenz is though impressive. Getting out the city took a long ride along busy road roads, highways and cycling through industrial zones…I finally returned to the cycle path along the Rhine for the rest of the day.


In the afternoon I followed the left shore of the Rhine. At one moment I took a wrong road and cycled 10 kilometers through an almost non-existing path..Black Horse felt as he was on a trail in the Balkan.I was able to get back to society to find me on a busy road where I was not expected to cycle. After 2 kilometres riding on the shoulder of the road I was able to leave the semi-highway and reconnect with the normal cycling path…pfff…

On my way to the camping I was tempted to take a hotelroom in one of the many hotels. I did not, the camping was nice , the weather still fine and the camping pizzeria-restaurant was operational. I setup camp, had a Radler (or 2) and  had a shower. At least 6 other cyclists camping at site. One of them is a German guy from Augsburg who is cycling towards Norway with a 12 year old retriever in a trailer. I passed the guy along the road but then he was not that talkative, in the evening he was in a better mood.

Tomorrow will be my last day in Germany. I have booked a camping site in Remersdaal. The camping restaurant has been elected in 2022 as the best Camping restaurant in Belgium…..not sure how big the camping-restaurant scene is…..I will be hungry, 130 kilometers and 1300 meters of climbing….

Lessons learned :
  • Flies and mosquitoes taste all the same.
  • The Rhine cycle path is nice then the Danube’s.
  • There are a lot of pizzeria in Germany.



Comments

  1. Weeral een mooie dag gehad, je verhaal over de Rijn en de kastelen doet mij denken aan onze eerste reis met onze eerste auto en jij en jp erbij.
    Nu kom je echt dicht bij het thuisfront.
    Nog prettige dagen met hopelijk goed weer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another nice day, except for the flat battery anxiety 🙃! Loved the photos and the views! You're getting closer to the end of your trip... enjoy your last moments!

    ReplyDelete
  3. weer heel mooie foto's waar ik altijd van geniet, dit was een streek die ik ook ken, geniet van je laatste dagen op terugweg naar huis en laat ons ook nog wat mee genieten.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

//the start

I n 2018  I ran from Ghent (my hometown in Belgium) to Santiago The Compostela in Spain .   An adventure which took 4 pair running shoes and 73 days of running to cover the 2700 km. The reasons for my Santiago adventure was the urge to complete a physical challenge (I could have opted for less healthy options to manage my  mid-life crisis), experience  the state of rural France after having seen a documentary on the topic and the need to disconnect from my day to day professional live.  During my trip I managed a blog with photos I took with my iPhone combined with personal observations on my day-to-day life as runner/traveller to Santiago. It was during this trip I discovered my interest in photography and shortly after my return I enrolled myself into the  Ghent academy for fine arts   to study photography. Around the end of 2020 I started thinking to undertake a new adventure. Not longer with the objective to physically challenge myself but to investigate and document photographical

//Day 1 /12-03-22 /Ghent - Passau

It was with little sleep I got out of bed this morning. From 2 o’clock in the morning I was a in semi-awake state only to fall back asleep again 5 minutes before I had the set alarm clock. Today, I would finally leave my home and family to start my long planned cycle tour though the Balkans. With a heavy heart I said goodbye to Jo and the kids and to Eric and Katrien (who came to wave me goodbye, real friends Jan) and stepped into the car of Wim which would bring me to Ko ln to take the direct train to Passau. Thanks to  Germany’s efficient and  modern train infrastructure I was soon waiting on the platform to board the train to Vienna. The train was 6 minutes late so not sure if german efficiency is still a thing.  I’m writing this blog whilst riding a comfortable train through sunny Germany looking at a landscape slowly changing from hilly to flat to hilly again. Besides the changing landscape I’m observing the other travellers typing on their smartphones,  listening to a Belgian rad

//Day 18/29-03-22 /Negotin-Vidin

I needed to cycle only 65 K today, from Nigotin to Vidin, a small city near the border with Romania in Bulgaria. So I stayed in bed until 8.30, made an espresso and sat on the terras of my chalet-studio. Bojan, the owner/host, promised me he would arrange breakfast around 8.30. Around 9.00 he brought me a filo based  pastry filled with a green vegetable (which I did not know) and cheese, real espresso and some fresh orange based limonade/juice. All was perfect again, totally in line with the level of service received since I arrived at Bojan’s place. After breakfast I slowly packed and was ready to roll around 10.15. Bojan asked if he could join me to the border and taking me via a route through the hills to the border. I happily accepted. I was somewhat surprised that for my stay, the welcome beer and breakfast the cost was only 14 euro. I would have paid without any questioning the double.  The plan was to go to Vidin, Bulgaria , and tomorrow follow the Romanian Eurovelo 6 route via