Skip to main content

//Day 47 /27-04-22 /Athens-Xylokastro

Last evening I spend a great evening with George talking about the past and future. I said George goodbye later then my normal bed hour…so waking up in the morning took more time then usual….






I took Black Horse out of the basement with the help of the super friendly hotel owner , packed and was ready to ride out around  8.00. I had to cycle around 15 K across Athens to get to the short ferry which would bring me to the small Island Salamina. The weather was such that a T-shirt a 8.00 was all I needed (together with pants, socks,…) , today temperature would be around 28 degrees. 

I was expecting to have to cycle busy roads until the ferry but most of the time I cycled narrow, quiet,  streets. Sometimes with a steep climb (and descent) and an encounter with a aggressive Greek car driver who stepped out of his car as I was blocking his way. Eventually world peace was re-established and I could continue my route. My friend George would have said, what a malaka….




In one of the narrow streets I found a bakery, bought a croissant, coffee and orange juice and had breakfast whilst chitchatting with the lady-owner practising her English and my Greek. She was somewhat surprised that my espresso needed to be warm and not al freddo as per Greek custom.


I found my ferry, paid 1 euro and embarked for the short crossing to the Island Salamina/Amplelakia. On the boat I met some Americans who where doing a short bicycle trip to Salamina. I was amazing……(I know..).
I needed to cross the Island to take another ferry to reach the Peloponesse peninsula and tart cycling direction Corinth. The Island Ampelakia is only 10K long so soon I arrived at my second ferry of today, the crossing was even shorter then the first, the price 70 cents….
One of the big differences today was that since I left Athens the green scenery has been replaced by a brownish scenery…..










Once cycling on the mainland the route was not that great. I followed the old national road which runs parallel and very close (meters) to the highway. The views where not that bad but the noice of the busy traffic spoiled somewhat the fun. It was also getting warm and not a lot of shade. Most of the building along the road derilict, a lot of garbage…..I was happy to get of of the road when I arrived at the Corinth Canal…





The Corinth Canal is a man made call that connects the Gulf of Corinth with the Ionian sea. It’s 6,4 K long, 8 meters deep and completed in 1893. Today it is to small for most commercial ships and lost it’s economical importance. In the past it saved a 700 K journey around the Peloponnese. A mini Suez Canal….quite impressive.
The canal is currently not in operations as some rocks are blocking the way, a structural problem the canal faces since it was build. When I arrived at the end of the canal I had to cross it over a wooden bridge. A man was sitting in a “control room” watching television. I started talking with him as I wanted to understand how the bridge worked. I learned that the bridge did not go up but is submerged and boats sail over it…Ingenious. The man also explained that the canal will be back operational from the 1st of July for 3 months only  as some structural work is required. I waved the man goodbye so he could continue watching television….







Once I crossed the Corinth Canal the road became a small road following the coastline. On the beaches people sunbathing and even some braver people swimming. When I arrived at my destination I also wanted to be brave and go for a swim. My bravery ended just below my knees….To cold for me (Maarten….I know). I promised myself though that I will swim in the sea before the TBBCA is over….
















There are not a lot of hotels open in the area. The 3 campings I passed were all closed…Eventually I found a hotel in Xylokastro, somewhat a bigger touristic place, still in winter sleep but with some hotels open and at least one restaurant where I’m now writing my post. 
I cycled longer then planned today (around 130 K) arriving around 16.30. My initial plan was to cycle tomorrow to Patras, Greece’s 3rd largest city, but I’m not in the mood to be again in a big city after having stayed in Athens for 3 days. Unfortunately for Patras, or me, who knows,  but Patras will be for another Greece visit. My plan now is to leave the Pelopennesos  and cross over to the mainland and try to find  a hotel or camping in a small village. The weather tomorrow will be again around 28 , the days afterwards the temperature will go down to 24…perfect for the 5 days before I reach Albania…





Lessons learned :
  • Greek receptionists are very interested in the price of Black Horse. It one of the standard questions when arriving in a Greek hotel.
  • After 5 days eating Greek food it’s not a shame to order a hamburger.
  • The price of a soft drink can vary between 1 and 2 euro, but the price for a bottle of water is the same everywhere.




Comments

  1. Wat een lange dag en warme dag en vol bewondering voor jouw mooie fotos.
    Ik denk dat je vanavond wel goed zal slapen.
    Het allerbeste voor morgen en geniet ervan , hier is het 14 gr.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's nice you had a great time with George! No ice cream today? I had two Cornetto’s... njummie! Nice photos again! Have a good sleep, don't let the bedbugs bite!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Het kanaal is indrukwekkend hé. Wij gaan deze zomer naar Albanië. Benieuwd naar je eerste indrukken. En ik zat al lang in de zee 🌊

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ik vind je foto's over de industriële archeologie best mooi. Bij het ontbijt zorgen ze soms voor lichte depressie maar de teksten maken veel goed ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. heel leuk de tijd die je doorbracht met George, de kleine gesprekken onderweg, weer mooie foto's maar er zijn ook veel trieste plaatsen in en rond Athene, tot morgen

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

//the start

I n 2018  I ran from Ghent (my hometown in Belgium) to Santiago The Compostela in Spain .   An adventure which took 4 pair running shoes and 73 days of running to cover the 2700 km. The reasons for my Santiago adventure was the urge to complete a physical challenge (I could have opted for less healthy options to manage my  mid-life crisis), experience  the state of rural France after having seen a documentary on the topic and the need to disconnect from my day to day professional live.  During my trip I managed a blog with photos I took with my iPhone combined with personal observations on my day-to-day life as runner/traveller to Santiago. It was during this trip I discovered my interest in photography and shortly after my return I enrolled myself into the  Ghent academy for fine arts   to study photography. Around the end of 2020 I started thinking to undertake a new adventure. Not longer with the objective to physically challenge myself but to investigate and document photographical

//Day 1 /12-03-22 /Ghent - Passau

It was with little sleep I got out of bed this morning. From 2 o’clock in the morning I was a in semi-awake state only to fall back asleep again 5 minutes before I had the set alarm clock. Today, I would finally leave my home and family to start my long planned cycle tour though the Balkans. With a heavy heart I said goodbye to Jo and the kids and to Eric and Katrien (who came to wave me goodbye, real friends Jan) and stepped into the car of Wim which would bring me to Ko ln to take the direct train to Passau. Thanks to  Germany’s efficient and  modern train infrastructure I was soon waiting on the platform to board the train to Vienna. The train was 6 minutes late so not sure if german efficiency is still a thing.  I’m writing this blog whilst riding a comfortable train through sunny Germany looking at a landscape slowly changing from hilly to flat to hilly again. Besides the changing landscape I’m observing the other travellers typing on their smartphones,  listening to a Belgian rad

//Day 18/29-03-22 /Negotin-Vidin

I needed to cycle only 65 K today, from Nigotin to Vidin, a small city near the border with Romania in Bulgaria. So I stayed in bed until 8.30, made an espresso and sat on the terras of my chalet-studio. Bojan, the owner/host, promised me he would arrange breakfast around 8.30. Around 9.00 he brought me a filo based  pastry filled with a green vegetable (which I did not know) and cheese, real espresso and some fresh orange based limonade/juice. All was perfect again, totally in line with the level of service received since I arrived at Bojan’s place. After breakfast I slowly packed and was ready to roll around 10.15. Bojan asked if he could join me to the border and taking me via a route through the hills to the border. I happily accepted. I was somewhat surprised that for my stay, the welcome beer and breakfast the cost was only 14 euro. I would have paid without any questioning the double.  The plan was to go to Vidin, Bulgaria , and tomorrow follow the Romanian Eurovelo 6 route via