Skip to main content

//Day 49 /29-04-22 /Mesolongi-Menidi

When I woke up today the sun was hiding behind the clouds, it would stay there for the rest of the day. The advantage being that it was some degrees cooler then the day before, better cycling weather. Eventually I decided not to take the taxi through the Preveza tunnel. The taxi man, understandable,  wanted to know less or more the exact time when I would be at the tunnel otherwise he could not promise when he would be available when I called him when I arrived at the tunnel. I plotted a route from Mesolongi through the inland some 120 K north to the coast, to place with a hotel, it turned  out to be that this would be Menidi, a tiny place at the coast with an available / affordable hotel.

I left my vintage hotel and went in search for a breakfast, once found I hit the road and left sleepy Mesolongi via a kilometer-long boulevard which was build by someone with great ambitions but which never crystallised. Contrary to the salt which is produced in the nearby lagunas.






Some kilometers outside Mesolongi a lot of people where walking along the road. After asking I understood  they were Roma on a pelgrimage to a nearby church. The fun was somewhat spoiled when the group of young guy’s started asking for money…..


The route was beautiful. Cycling most of the time empty roads, through small agricultural villages surrounded by mountains. The villages even to small to have a mini-market, as result I did not have any lunch before 3 in the afternoon, when I exited the mountains. In one village I was lucky to find a bar to get a sugar loaded soft drink as fuel for the 2 bigger climbs I had on my route. 
The local men drinking beer and ouzo. 












I also passed place where I think pebbles where dugged which has created an extraordinary landscape. Lorries dumping all the time  the soil which was the residue after filtering the pebbles creating unpleasant dust clouds to cycle through.  





Today I also passed 3 sites where preparations where ongoing to build  windmills. Since I arrived in Greece I encountered a lot of solar panel fields and windmills, clearly the Greek are investing big time in renewals. The blades of the windmills are quite impressive.



Black Horse did well climbing the mountains, until on a steep small road suddenly the bikechain broke….Luckily I had a second chain available (By swapping my bikechain it should slow down the wear of m gears). I swapped the bikechain very swiftly to my surprise and continued my route. The challenge will be to find a new bikechain. The best option seems to be Tirana, which is some 600 K further on my route…

After fixing Black Horse it was most of the time going down to the coast, sometimes via steep small roads. In the first bakery I passed I bought something to eat as the 2000 meters climbing today had made me hungry. The last kilometers I cycled along a big road but which did not have any traffic. In the past it was probably a busy road but the sea tunnel of Preveza has a all changed that. Today the road is empty and in very poor condition giving no cycle pleasure. Today was a great cycling day most of the time on small roads with beautiful views. The two things which could have been better was the quality of the roads : bumps, holes, stones,…and less head wind. Most of the day I had a strong headwind out of the west…

When I arrived in Menidi I checked in into my hotel , did some laundry and had some sleep before having a simple but nice dinner of fish, salad and fries. Tomorrow I will cycle to Igoumenitsa, a coastal village some 130 K away with an open camping and reconnect with the Eurovelo 8 route. So tomorrow I will finally sleep in my tent again.

Lessons learned :
  • Bikechain swapping is a piece of cake. 
  • I’m a mule. I did not foresee lunch….
  • 23 degrees, no sun, is quite good cycling weather.













Comments

  1. Zo te zien heb je een indrukwekkende dag gehad, ziet er wel mooi uit maar spijtig van je ketting.
    Hopelijk morgen geen problemen en veel fietsplezier.

    ReplyDelete
  2. weer heel hard genoten van je verhaal, ondanks de fietsketting die het begaf heb je volgens mij een prachtige fietsdag gehad, weer zoals altijd mooie foto's die je neemt op je weg, geeft een meerwaarde aan je verhalen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beer and ouzo makes Greek men smile!
    Congrats on the bike chain swap! Nice job!
    Like always great photos!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

//the start

I n 2018  I ran from Ghent (my hometown in Belgium) to Santiago The Compostela in Spain .   An adventure which took 4 pair running shoes and 73 days of running to cover the 2700 km. The reasons for my Santiago adventure was the urge to complete a physical challenge (I could have opted for less healthy options to manage my  mid-life crisis), experience  the state of rural France after having seen a documentary on the topic and the need to disconnect from my day to day professional live.  During my trip I managed a blog with photos I took with my iPhone combined with personal observations on my day-to-day life as runner/traveller to Santiago. It was during this trip I discovered my interest in photography and shortly after my return I enrolled myself into the  Ghent academy for fine arts   to study photography. Around the end of 2020 I started thinking to undertake a new adventure. Not longer with the objective to physically challenge myself but to investigate and document photographical

//Day 1 /12-03-22 /Ghent - Passau

It was with little sleep I got out of bed this morning. From 2 o’clock in the morning I was a in semi-awake state only to fall back asleep again 5 minutes before I had the set alarm clock. Today, I would finally leave my home and family to start my long planned cycle tour though the Balkans. With a heavy heart I said goodbye to Jo and the kids and to Eric and Katrien (who came to wave me goodbye, real friends Jan) and stepped into the car of Wim which would bring me to Ko ln to take the direct train to Passau. Thanks to  Germany’s efficient and  modern train infrastructure I was soon waiting on the platform to board the train to Vienna. The train was 6 minutes late so not sure if german efficiency is still a thing.  I’m writing this blog whilst riding a comfortable train through sunny Germany looking at a landscape slowly changing from hilly to flat to hilly again. Besides the changing landscape I’m observing the other travellers typing on their smartphones,  listening to a Belgian rad

//Day 18/29-03-22 /Negotin-Vidin

I needed to cycle only 65 K today, from Nigotin to Vidin, a small city near the border with Romania in Bulgaria. So I stayed in bed until 8.30, made an espresso and sat on the terras of my chalet-studio. Bojan, the owner/host, promised me he would arrange breakfast around 8.30. Around 9.00 he brought me a filo based  pastry filled with a green vegetable (which I did not know) and cheese, real espresso and some fresh orange based limonade/juice. All was perfect again, totally in line with the level of service received since I arrived at Bojan’s place. After breakfast I slowly packed and was ready to roll around 10.15. Bojan asked if he could join me to the border and taking me via a route through the hills to the border. I happily accepted. I was somewhat surprised that for my stay, the welcome beer and breakfast the cost was only 14 euro. I would have paid without any questioning the double.  The plan was to go to Vidin, Bulgaria , and tomorrow follow the Romanian Eurovelo 6 route via